Tuesday 6 March 2012

TV - Shameless: Parenthood

Shameless, Shameless, Shameless, where do I even begin? The show is a lengthy 1 hour, but still manages to pack in numerous issues concerning euthanasia, homosexuality, pregnancy and of course, family. The premise of the show, as quoted from Wikipedia:

"The series follows the dysfunctional family of Frank Gallagher, a single father of six children. While he spends his days drunk, his kids learn to take care of themselves."

That's basically all you need to know.

So far in the second season, this has been my favourite episode. Mainly because Ian gets a storyline (finally) but also, there are two stand out scenes for me.

One of them is the break up (well not really, since they were never really together) of Ian and Mickey. I think the two actors how play the characters work really well together, but what's great about this scene is not what's said, but what isn't. The emotions concerning coming out and relationships are there in the scene, but half of it is not explicitly said, something that I think makes the the show amazing.


Either Ian's heart is breaking, or he's mesmerised by Mickey's beard.

Seriously, he needs to shave that thing off.

The other scene that I really liked was the ending scene between Fiona and Lip. Emmy Rossum is an amazing actress and her and Jeremy Allen White's exchange was so intense. During the scene, I had no idea what to think, I was just frozen, staring at the scene. Check out a lovely gif set of the scene here.

One other thing I want to mention is Shelia assisting Grammy in her suicide. Joan Cusack is hilarious and I love Shelia's character and all her mannerisms but that scene was actually really uncomfortable for me to watch. Nevertheless, it's scenes like that which make Shameless, well shameless. It's simultaneously dark, humorous, jarring, far-fetched, truthful, and I whole heartedly recommend it.

Quotes:

  • The front door was locked so I came in the back. No pun intended.
  • Tell St. Peter you're sorry for being shitty!
  • I'm holding a crack baby.
  • I don't get it. Half of the world has penises, why do people get so upset about seeing them?

No comments:

Post a Comment